Events & Experiences
Callicoma Hill is more than just a peaceful getaway. You can enjoy a range of nature-based activities on the land and the forests nearby.
Callicoma Hill organises events during the year including historic movies in the forest, wildlife wanders, music performances inspired by nature and the unique family friendly Baerami Bush Dance and Campout (2 hours west of Callicoma Hill). You can participate in activities at Callicoma Hill and the nearby locality including:
- Bush walking – experience some of the best walks in the Hunter Valley nearby.
- Mountain biking – ride a challenging 30 km loop ride through Mount Royal National Park.
- Kids in nature – fun, activity and learning for children to benefit their health and education.
- Nature studies, science and wildlife – learn about nature and the plants and animals on the land.
- Bird watching – wake early to hear the dawn bird calls, and see dozens of bird species.
- Campfire cooking – use the wood BBQs and cook delicious campfire meals in the open air (weather permitting).
- Games – bring your favourite games or use ourselection of board games & puzzles for indoor times.
- Landscape & nature photography – spectacular sunsets & clouds, distant mountains and plants and animals all around.
- Art and drawing – be inspired by the colours, landscapes and textures of the environment and changing weather.
- Music – bring your own instrument for uninterrupted rehearsal in an invigorating landscape.
- Writing – be inspired to write in your own cabin in the forest, and let the nature around you fuel your creativity.
- Lake St Clair – check out the fishing and boating opportunities, or just enjoy the scenic drive along this large lake.
Guided Bushwalks in Mt Royal National Park & Wollemi National Park
10 different walks in small groups, led by an experienced guide from Callicoma Hill, between March and June 2021
See all details on our bushwalks page.
Baerami Bush Dance & CampoutMay 1st 2021
This traditional acoustic bush dance, with a band of Hunter musicians, is fun for all ages. You don’t need a partner, and all dances are explained & called. Arrive from 4pm, and dancing starts at 7 pm and goes till late.
Bush camping is available at the hall and is included in the ticket price.
Tickets are at trybooking.com/740020 or will be available 'at the door' (cash only) from approx 4pm. They are a little cheaper online! Contact us for more information.
See videos and photos of previous dances on the 2019 Baerami Bush Dance Facebook page, and please share the event via our 2021 Baerami Bush Dance Facebook listing.
Download the Baerami Dance 2021 flyer here!
the COVID restrictions currently allowing dancing, we are looking
forward to holding this dance again in 2021. However, final arrangements
will be dependent on the restrictions in place at the time , so please keep in touch. We may need to alter the usual format
and type of dances to ensure COVID protocols are followed. We will be holding this dance with a COVID Plan, and participants will be required to 'scan in' or sign in on entry.
This year only, paid bookings are required for a Sunday morning and/or afternoon guided bushwalk in two locations near Baerami Hall in world heritage listed Wollemi National Park. The walks are easy to moderate grade. An experienced guide will provide an introduction to the sandstone landscapes and natural history of the area. Detailed info & tickets for these walks are at www.trybooking.com/BOACS . Discounts are available if you choose both walks (contact us!).
Movies under the StarsNovember 13, 2021
As night falls in the bush, with a backdrop of fireflies and the sound of crickets and frogs, the scene is set for a unique evening of entertaining and historical films at Callicoma Hill eco-cabins. A number of short films from the 1920’s to the 1950’s, including cartoons are followed by the classic 1946 Australian feature film 'Bush Christmas'. Set in the Blue Mountains, this film tells the story of a poor Australian family, the theft of their prize racehorse, and the children’s adventures to recover it. Films are screened on a traditional reel to reel projector, powered by solar energy.
Bring drinks, comfy chairs or rugs to sit on the grass, a jacket or extra rug plus supper to share. Tea and coffee are provided. You can also bring a picnic or BBQ dinner to enjoy before the movies begin. Eco-cabin, camping and bunkhouse accommodation is available at Callicoma Hill overnight.Bookings will be essential - both for the movies and for accommodation.
Tickets are $12 adult and $6 for children under 15 and will be available through Trybooking closer to the date.
Contact us for information.
Guided Sustainable Homes Tours: seeing, thinking, doing
More in 2021 - please contact us for details.
(our last tours were in October and November, 2019)
We invite you to see, hear and learn from our experience of over 25 years of off-grid sustainable building and living. This weekend will interest anyone building or renovating a house, wanting a sustainable lifestyle, or simply curious about how off-grid living works in practice. You can learn tips and gain practical insights.
Activities over the weekend are:
* Detailed 2-hour guided tours (choose either Sat afternoon or Sun morning) of sustainable buildings (one a mud brick house, the other a retrofitted timber building), including explanations of principles underpinning the design & construction of the buildings
* Possible Sat evening reel to reel screenings of 'retro' environmental and urban issue movies from the 1970s!
* Free campfire chat (Sat late afternoon)
You can choose which activities you attend.
Topics covered on each 2hr guided tour will include: relationship to site, design for climate, energy efficient design, solar energy & technology, mud brick, hot water heating, water supply and wetland wastewater treatment, healthy materials and insulation, comfort, minimising maintenance, and how to balance life & building. Tours cost $20 and are for adults only
Bookings will be ESSENTIAL - further info, times, prices and tickets will be listed on a Trybooking site closer to the date. Contact us in the meantime.
The tours are for adults only.
Accommodation is available over the weekend by prior booking - contact us!
Vivaldi & friends:
Andrew Blanch (classical guitar) and the Gully Line String Quartet
Callail Rowley, Zach Choi (violins), David Banney (viola) and Matthew Banney (cello)
Saturday 20 March, 2021 at 4pm
now at All Saints Anglican Church, High St, Singleton
More details about the musicians and concert program are at trybooking.com/BOVXV
Concert tickets: $35 / $30 / $10 each at trybooking.com/BOVXV
Limited tickets due to COVID number restrictions...
This concert will be held in accordance with applicable COVID public health restrictions and social distancing requirements.
See photos of our previous concert (January 2019 with London based baroque cellist Anthony Albrecht) at our news page regarding the Bach to the Bush concert and the Bach to the Bush Facebook eventpage
Contact us for more information about future concerts and events, and please let us know if you are a musician who would like to perform acoustically in our forest setting!
- Unstructured free play brings cognitive, social and health benefits
- Children’s play in natural settings provides a suite of benefits
- Time spent outdoors supports many aspects of children’s health
- Nature provides a variety of mental health and well-being benefits
- Physical activity and exposure to nature are important to good health.
You can help your child enjoy nature by camping at Callicoma Hill, bringing a bike, playing games outside, and going for short walks in the bush. Or you can stay in our accommodation, and enjoy the benefits without the hassle of camping.At Callicoma Hill there is no TV or WiFi, and mobile phone reception is limited – ideal for time away from screens.
We are able to provide a location for structured children’s activities including exploring creativity with natural materials, building a cubby house, being outdoors learning in nature, and engaging in physical activity. These activities are primarily for children aged between 5 and 13 years.
We are able to offer you a special activity to suit the group. Contact us to discuss the possibilities.