Events & Experiences
Callicoma Hill is more than just a peaceful getaway. You can enjoy a range of nature-based activities on the land and the forests nearby.
Callicoma Hill organises events during the year including historic movies in the forest, wildlife wanders, and the unique family friendly Baerami Bush Dance and Campout. You can participate in activities at Callicoma Hill and the nearby locality including:
- Bush walking – experience some of the best walks in the Hunter Valley nearby.
- Mountain biking – ride a challenging 30 km loop ride through Mount Royal National Park.
- Kids in nature – fun, activity and learning for children to benefit their health and education.
- Nature studies, science and wildlife – learn about nature and the plants and animals on the land.
- Bird watching – wake early to hear the dawn bird calls, and see dozens of bird species.
- Campfire cooking – use the wood BBQs and cook delicious campfire meals in the open air (weather permitting).
- Games – bring your favourite games or use ourselection of board games & puzzles for indoor times.
- Landscape photography – marvel at changing clouds, spectacular sunsets and gaze to distant mountains and the 80 km view across the Hunter Valley.
- Art and drawing – be inspired by the colours, landscapes and textures of the environment and changing weather.
- Music – bring your own instrument for uninterrupted rehearsal in an invigorating landscape.
- Writing – be inspired to write in your own cabin in the forest, and let the nature around you fuel your creativity.
- Lake St Clair – check out the fishing and boating opportunities, or just enjoy the scenic drive along this large lake.
Baerami Bush Dance & Campout
The annual Baerami Dance is held each year in April or May. Baerami is west of Sandy Hollow in the Upper Hunter, and close to world heritage listed Wollemi National Park. The dance is 2 hours drive from Callicoma Hill.
This traditional acoustic bush dance, with a band of Hunter musicians, is fun for all ages. You don’t need a partner, and all dances are called. Dancing starts at 7.30 pm on Saturday and goes till late and bush camping is available at the hall. All dances are explained. On Sunday, there is an easy guided bushwalk in world heritage listed Wollemi National Park. Contact us for more information or visit the Baerami Bush Dance Facebook page.
Baerami Dance Flyer (252 KB)
Movies under the Stars
As night falls in the bush, with a backdrop of fireflies and the sound of crickets and frogs, the scene is set for a unique evening of entertaining and historical films at Callicoma Hill eco-cabins.
A number of short films from the 1920’s to the 1950’s, including cartoons are followed by the classic 1946 Australian feature film 'Bush Christmas'. Set in the Blue Mountains, this film tells the story of a poor Australian family, the theft of their prize racehorse, and the children’s adventures to recover it. Films are screened on a traditional reel to reel projector, powered by solar energy. Bookings are essential.
Bring drinks, comfy chairs or rugs to sit on the grass, a jacket or extra rug plus supper to share. Tea and coffee are provided. You can also bring a picnic or BBQ dinner to enjoy before the movies begin. Camping and bunkhouse accommodation is available at Callicoma Hill overnight. Contact us for information.
A special feature of Callicoma Hill is the bushwalks available in nearby world heritage listed Mount Royal National Park and Barrington Tops National Park.
Find out more about bushwalks close by.
Kids in nature
Callicoma Hill provides an ideal setting for your children or grandchildren. The health and education of children benefits from time in nature. Studies reviewed by the Children and Nature Network (2012) demonstrate that:
- Unstructured free play brings cognitive, social and health benefits
- Children’s play in natural settings provides a suite of benefits
- Time spent outdoors supports many aspects of children’s health
- Nature provides a variety of mental health and well-being benefits
- Physical activity and exposure to nature are important to good health.
You can help your child enjoy nature by camping at Callicoma Hill, bringing a bike, playing games outside, and going for short walks in the bush. Or you can stay in our accommodation, and enjoy the benefits without the hassle of camping.
At Callicoma Hill there is no TV or WiFi, and mobile phone reception is limited – ideal for time away from screens.
We are able to provide a location for structured children’s activities including exploring creativity with natural materials, building a cubby house, being outdoors learning in nature, and engaging in physical activity. These activities are primarily for children aged between 5 and 13 years.
Stay at Callicoma Hill eco-cabin for a small team building weekend, an educational seminar, or just some work time-out.
We are able to offer you a special activity to suit the group. Contact us to discuss the possibilities.